Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Evil Stepmother?

Today i found this life changing piece of writing called The Evil Stepmother and i almost cried right in the middle of the office, it was so nice (no, not nice, it was so utterly wonderful) to know that i am not the only one who finds the world of other people's children scary, weird, lovely, funny and utterly terrifying. So many of the things in it ring true, especially thought provoking for me was the articulation of your own parenting as part of the pattern of your parents. In part i think thats why i find being here so hard sometimes, i know i view my childhood through rose tinted glasses (it was pretty damn rosy though) and maybe nothing can compare to it. I remember years ago telling my mother that i wouldn't be very good at being a mum cos i wouldn't be as good as her. I feel like a bit of a failure sometimes cos I'm not as close to K and O as i 'should' be (ie not as close as i was to my mom). Maybe step number one is to reclaim 'Stepmother' as a word i would even use??? It makes me go ohhhyuukkk and sound incredibly middle ages.

I went to see the WONDERFUL Vagina Monologues last night. Maybe i should reclaim stepmother (like c*&t) for the 21st Century, postmodern stepmother anyone....?

No comments: